I’ve never heard of the Anchorage Cooperative Preschool. Is it fairly new?
In 1970 a small group of parents came together to explore the possibility of creating a preschool. From these beginnings the cooperative model was adopted and is still in effect today.
How can I find out if the cooperative preschool model is right for my family?
• Visit our website at www.acpre.org
• Call or email the school at 907-279-0923 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Visit our preschool September to mid-May, M-F 9:30-12:30.
• Attend an Open House at the preschool (as announced).
• Attend the weekly summer play-group/ picnic.
Is the curriculum based on any published program like Montesorri or Waldorf?
Emergent, child-centered curriculum based on seasonal and community opportunities.
What is the ratio of adults to children?
During the morning programs there is always a minimum of one teacher for every ten enrolled children. Additionally, there will always be a minimum of two parent helpers in the classroom everyday. This typically means there will be three adults for ten children in two-day program and four-five adults for twenty children in the three day program. In the Pre-Kindergarten program there are 2 teachers to 10 children.
Does my child have to be fully potty trained?
We have some preschoolers who use pull-ups. We also keep extra clothes on hand for accidents. The policy on diapers and bathroom use is fully explained in the Handbook. Contact us if you have specific concerns about your child.
My daughter won’t be 3 until November but I feel she is ready for preschool. Are there any exceptions to the age requirements?
We aren’t licensed to accept children younger than 3 for enrollment in the program. Children must be 3 years old by the first day of school to attend for that year. Pre-K students must meet the Kindergarten age requirements for ASD attendance for the following year.
How do I join the Anchorage Cooperative Preschool?
• Contact Membership at (907) 279-0923 or email@example.com about space availability.
• Submit an Application for Enrollment which is available by email, on the website, or at the preschool.
• Mail the application and nonrefundable registration fee to the address on the form.
• Within two weeks of submitting your application you will be contacted by Membership to discuss enrollment. If space is not available in the program you selected you will be placed on the waiting list or your application and check will be returned.
• Your email address will be added to ACP’s Google group to get you in contact with other ACP families and to keep you informed of important dates and events, including registration.
I’ve driven up and down LaTouche and I don’t see a preschool sign! Where exactly is the preschool located?
We rent space from the First Christian Church at 3031 LaTouche Street.
Is the preschool affiliated with any religious organizations?
No, we are a member owned cooperative.
When does the ACP school year start and end?
ACP starts a week after and ends a week before the Anchorage School District calendar. We also observe all of the holidays, winter and spring breaks, in-service, and snow days as the Anchorage School District (ASD).
Is the preschool office open during the summer?
No, the only paid staff at ACP are the teachers and coordinator who work on a nine-month contract during the school year. The best way to get information in the summer is to attend the Summer Play-group or by leaving a message at (907) 279-0923 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who runs the Preschool if the teachers only work during the school year?
The Preschool is run by a Board of Directors made up of current and past members. Members volunteer their time to return calls/email, coordinate gatherings and enroll students during the summer.
I am concerned about finding childcare for my younger son on the days I work in my preschooler’s class. Can I bring him along?
If the child is content to be in a sling, pack, or other device that will keep them up off the floor they are welcome to accompany you. Dependent on interest, we have an on-site sibling play-group that members coordinate for more active siblings.
I am a stay-at-home Dad and this is the first time my preschooler will be in any sort of program so I’m worried about how she (and I!) will adjust. Any suggestions?
Attend the Summer Playgroup so both of you get to know other preschoolers and their families. Once school starts we welcome you to stay as long as you want in the preschool rooms or in the adjacent Family Room.
Can my preschooler’s grandparents help out at the preschool?
Yes! We love to have extended family and friends help out at the preschool.