Welcome to the Anchorage Cooperative Preschool.
We welcome you to our community of families who strive to embrace active parenting and our teachers who understand the developmental needs of our children and the importance of a families’ continued involvement. We hope that the following information will help you make a unique contribution to our preschool.
We believe it is important for our students to have experiences individually and with other children and adults in a safe, positive and accepting environment. Children explore to discover their own interests and abilities, and are exposed to new ideas and concepts. We believe it is essential for family members to be in the classroom learning and participating with their children.
ACP Guiding Principles
Anchorage Cooperative Preschool has in its past ideals that are its future. Following is a list of the Guiding Principles that many of our members collaborated on and established. Take a look at these ideals and see if they resonate for you. If so, you are in the right place. We want you to help us emulate these guiding principles which are at our base, throughout our core and thus drive our decisions and actions.
- we welcome diversity and honor the individual
- we enrich familys’ lives, both in and out of the classroom
- our program is:
- child-centered & age-appropriate
- we support skills for lifelong learning
- we create a love for learning by embracing curiosity, creativity & flexibility
- we share responsibilities for educating children
- we create a family-centered, hands-on community where choices are nurtured and mistakes are supported and learned from
- we provide a safe and trusting place where naturally capable teachers, families and children are empowered to be curious and explore their potential
- we create an environment where positive self-image is fostered through recognition of feelings, kind and gentle actions and intuitiveness
- we provide a large community gathering space
- we believe in environmentally conscious, sustainable practices
- we support the opportunity to build close, supportive relationships
- we share resources, skills, experiences, knowledge and responsibilities
- we honor ethical, transparent, responsible business behaviors
- we support growth and change
- we believe children thrive through outdoor time in a natural environment
- we support healthy and safe practices for mind, body and environment
When adults participate in their children’s preschool there are many benefits for the child and family:
- Adults observe children as they play and experience their similarities and differences;
- Adults support one another and learn new parenting skills;
- There is continuity between home and school;
- Families share their talents, experiences, interests and skill;
- Children are exposed to different ways of doing things;
- Children understand that their school and education are important to their families.
- Families become part of a caring and supportive community.
Active family participation creates the spirit and atmosphere of “our” school. We create this school together; it belongs to all of us. Our school is a positive and accepting place for all children and families.
At the preschool everyone (children and adults) contributes ideas and energy. We facilitate the incorporation of the culture of each family into our program. Children and adults learn more about each other by spending time together and through sharing foods, customs, languages and ideas.
Everyone can help make our school better by asking questions and making positive suggestions. We want to keep improving our school by trying new ways of doing things.
Good communication is essential. Talk and listen to each other. Be kind and accepting, not critical of one another. Try to turn criticism into positive suggestions. Work with the teacher, Preschool Coordinator and other families to help better our school.